Q. Are these motors quiet when operated?
- Yes! At an average 38 db, our whisper quiet RollerTrol™ motors are among the quietest motors in the industry. Many other tubular motor brands are much noisier.
Q. Can I buy one unit now and add others later that will work with the same remote control?
- Yes! Our non-radio type RollerTrol™ motors can be added to an existing system at any time. Our DCC-1-10-RF controller with wireless remote is rated at 10 amps and can easily run 5 or 6 of these motors at the same time. You would also need a suitable power supply (5 amp).
- Our motors with built-in radios can also be added to an existing system. These motors can be assigned to a dedicated channel on your remote control, or ganged onto a channel with other motors already assigned.
Q. Can I make blinds and projector screens that have a custom width and height, to fit the dimensions of my room?
- Yes! The width is controlled simply by the length of slide-on tubing you select (minimum is 11", or 29 cm), and the height is controlled by the length of material you select (maximum number of motor turns is unlimited, unlike other brands)
Q. Can I make horizontal or angled blinds?
- Yes! If you take a regular spring loaded window blind and remove the latching mechanism, you can attach the tubular motor with wire or fishing line to deploy/retract the blind. You can also install plastic or wood guides on either side to help keep it flat.
Q. Are there good reasons to use low voltage DC instead of regular AC?
Yes! There are many reasons:
- lower cost overall
- an electrician is not required for installation
- wiring is small gauge, typically lamp cord, easy to conceal
- motor can be used in a variety of environments (home, RV, marine, etc)
- many power source choices: A/C house current, battery, solar, etc.
Q. Do the motors have a warranty?
- Yes! We guarantee them against defect for a full year. They have been factory tested to 30,000+ cycles (approximate life of 82 years at 1 cycle per day).
Q. Do they work if there is a power failure?
- Yes! If you use a battery in the system, they will work even when your house power has failed. We have small high-efficiency rechargeable backup batteries that fit inside any standard valance or fascia board. They can also be concealed lower down behind something, or you can use your own system.
Q. Could I use a solar panel?
- Use a 12v solar panel system, wind generator, water wheel or other 12v power source. These are very efficient motors that require very little power to operate, typically 5 to 10 watts for perhaps 30 seconds when operating. If you use the radio remote type, the standby power is approximately 18 mA for the radio receiver. We also have special ultra-low power radio models with a standby power current of only .03 mA
Q. If I don't want a battery, can I run these on regular AC house power?
- Yes! Just use our standard plug-in 12v power supply 'wall wart'. The battery is completely optional.
Q. Can I use these motors for a home theater screen AND blackout window blinds?
- Yes! You can make our RollerTrol™ motors do many different things.
Q. Can I control window blinds and screens separately, with a single remote?
- Yes! You would need our multi-channel radio controllers that can control radio equipped RollerTrol™ motors individually. They also have an 'ALL' setting to move everything at once.
Q. Can I control blinds and screens in other rooms?
- Yes! Our Rollertrol™ RF radio type remote controls pass the signal through walls and have a range that can reach anywhere in a typical home.
Q. Can I interface these systems with other home automation systems?
- Yes! Our motors can be run from any system capable of controlling DC voltage.
Q. Can I set the upper and lower travel limits easily?
- Yes! The non-radio type of Rollertrol™ motors use an electronic system set by activating a 'learn' mode, and the limits are set by simply adjusting your control switch or remote to move them into the desired top and bottom positions (these positions are blocked into memory). This is much easier than the old style with screw settings on the motor.
Q. Can I have a long window covering or screen with this system?
- Yes! The Rollertrol™ motors use an electronic 'pulse count' system, instead of the old style of screw adjusted mechanical limit system. Unlike the older mechanical designs, the number of rotations allowed is UNLIMITED.