Author Topic: Controlling RF Motors with Logitech Harmony 900 RF?  (Read 33327 times)

spudz72

• View Profile
Controlling RF Motors with Logitech Harmony 900 RF?
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:49:50 AM »
Just wondering if it is possible to program the Harmony 900 Universal RF remote to control these motors?  The Harmony 900 is basically the Harmony One remote with the addition of RF. 

Normally if you want to add a device to it you select the make/model of the device but I'm not sure what to select for that of course.  I am not sure if the Harmony 900 can learn RF commands or not? 

Any tips would be appreciated.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RollerTrol Automation Systems
Re: Controlling RF Motors with Logitech Harmony 900 RF?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Hi, as far as I know, the Harmony 900 will not work directly with our motorized blind RF remote control encoding system.

When it comes to RF the Harmony series of remote controllers work better than some in that they have certain specific manufacturers' RF code libraries built into them. For instance, it will support x10 and x10 Pro. I don't think it can 'learn' RF commands like it does with IR, however.

But we now have a solution for learning RF codes; it is a USB transceiver that can work with the Vera and Veralite controllers (or HomeSeer):

http://rollertrol.com/vera-and-veralite-wifi-controller-for-blinds-or-shades

Regards, Adrian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:52:13 PM by admin »

spudz72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
Thanks for the info Adrian.  If I get a chance to try a Harmony 900 RF remote and can get it to work I will let you know.  Since there are so many brands in the list I suppose it is possible that there is another manufacturers RF signal that is the same and would work. 

I will also look into the X10 options proposed as well...

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Hi, it may be possible there is a similar brand re RF encoding, but I honestly doubt it. Our software engineers have gone to great lengths to ensure that there will be no interference from other devices.

Regards, Adrian

enoga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure the Harmony 900's RF frequency is fixed so that it can only talk to it's own base unit which then converts the signal ti IR to control the devices. I'm looking for a solution as well for my Harmony One. What we need is for Adrian to design an IR to RF converter that uses his frequency and codes. Problem is, he'd have to get unique IR codes that we can either learn on our Harmony remotes or make them available through the Harmony database. I guess there is not enough of a market for that to happen though.

Adrian, the X10 solution is valid but for us that went ahead with Radio controlled motors it is no longer an option, and quite frankly the RF motor option s by far the most elegant, it would just be nice if I could use my own remote to control them.

There are lots of IR to RF converters ou there. Seems to me that it shouldn't be hard to convert one to work for our frequencies, but I just don't have the know-how.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
Hi, thanks for your input on this. We now have a solution for learning RF codes; it is a USB transceiver that can work with the Vera and Veralite controllers (or HomeSeer):

Regards, Adrian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:31:19 PM by admin »

enoga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »
Awesome, all we should have to do is convince your wife that she needs this setup and we're in business.   ;)

I see, so it's a matter of analyzing the signal and finding out what is being sent so you can replicate it. Before my first post I was reading this post on Arduino Forum so I guess I was on the right track: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1284587310

I'll keep checking your site and forum as I'm in no rush, I love the system the way it is and everybody I show it to can't believe how easy and affordable it is to accomplish. If you ever come up with a converter I'm first on the list to buy it.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
You got it, that's the way to go ...

Just to clarify things a bit further, I should add that we have been working on a remote control system that will allow the use of smartphones or PDA's running Android, Windows mobile, Symbian, IOS4, etc. It will be compatible with other wireless control systems such as Zigbee and Android@home, so that it can be used as a part of a whole home automation system. This generic approach will keep costs down, allow for custom software designed consoles (ie buttons), and will not require the use of fairly expensive dedicated universal remotes.

We now have a working solution for learning RF codes; it is a USB transceiver that can work with the Vera and Veralite controllers (or HomeSeer):

Regards, Adrian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:32:12 PM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:16:14 AM »
Hi All, just a note to let you know our new Vera and Veralite controllers are capable of learning RF codes:

Vera and VeraLite are powerful home automation controllers that run as a web server on your local lan and/or wifi network. They can be used simply as local controllers, but they can also be accessed remotely from any location via browser using a secure encrypted system.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:08:03 AM by admin »