Author Topic: Troubleshooting beeping motors  (Read 36900 times)

LeoS

• View Profile
Troubleshooting beeping motors
« on: October 01, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I've a few shades in my house automated by RollerTrols, including one in my bedroom. This one is already running opening and closing the bedroom's shade (about 10' x 5') everyday for about 1+ year with no failure whatsoever... but this morning we woke up to a dark room and some chirps from the motor.

The blind is controlled by RFXtrx433 and we also have some manual remotes. The current position is closed and everytime we press the 'open' button (whether through RFXtrx or the RollerTrol's own remotes) it would just chirp/beep. Pressing 'close' doesn't make any sound/response from RollerTrol.

What is the problem? I couldn't find information on how to decipher beep codes on your site either.

Thanks in advance

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RollerTrol Automation Systems
Re: Troubleshooting beeping motors
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Hi, could you please send me an email about this? I'll have to check your order history to see what you have.

Regards, Adrian

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
I just installed a new motor into my shade all it does is give 1 beep when I push the power button.  What happened with your beeping issue?

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
Ok so I uninstalled it and  brought it outside and removed the motor, it does say on it "non-radio"  I then hooked the motor up directly to a battery and it worked, reversed polarity and it when the other direction.  I put it back in the shade and hung the shade in its bracket and again tried it on the battery and it worked both ways.  Re-installed in the coach and it wont work.  I am repairing the blind and my shade works fine.  So I though ok maybe the switch, so I switched the wires from the shade to the blind and the shade still worked so the switch is good, tried the blind on the shade switch and the same thing, 1 beep and nothing.

I attached a multimeter to the feed wires and pushed the switch button, multimeter shot up in voltage and then went quickly to zero, did this on both the blind and the shade switch with the same results.  Put the shade wires back and the shade still works.  What gives?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »
Hi @freightguy, if the motor works in both directions when you connect it directly to the battery, this would indicate that it is working properly. I would suspect that it is jammed or overloaded somehow. If you remove it from the tube and it works when it is still connected to the actual switch you are going to use, this is very likely the case.

But I am also wondering about the multimeter test. If it drops from 12v DC to zero while power is applied, there could be some kind of circuit breaker on that 12v circuit that senses that too much current is being drawn (especially if the motor is jammed somehow).

Regards, Adrian

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »
With the multimeter the results I got were with not having the motor hooked up, just straight from the switch.  Maybe it sensed no draw and shut down?

I will have to remove the assembly again to test the motor on the switch with no load.  I cant imagine its overloaded with weight as I got the 12 lbs model.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
Hmmm, well, if you see 12v briefly without the motor connected, then it disappears, I would say you may have found the problem. I have never seen a 12v circuit shut off like that unless there is too much current being drawn (never for too little).

You could try bypassing the 12v source entirely, at least to get it working while you figure out what the other problem is about.

Regards, Adrian

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
but the other shade motor runs fine on both circuits.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
is it the same motor? If not, the draw may be different. If you put an ammeter in series on the direct battery connection where it works as expected, you should be able to see and measure the difference in current draw ...

this is assuming there is some kind of current limiting circuitry on the switch that is used normally ...

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »
Ok,  So I have robbed a Automotion motor from one of my bedroom shades and installed it in the windshield blind as that blind is pretty import to have functioning.  Works great.  Since I have removed the Rollertrol motor and have it out I have tried it at several locations in the coach and it does not work at any location.  This is very puzzling and I am hoping to find someone else with an American Coach product that may have the solution or at least know why this motor will not work in my system.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
Hi, I've got to think it is something to do with their control system; the only solution may be to bypass it and deliver 12v power directly to the motor. If you use our radio motors, you can have a wireless control on the dash (or wherever). We'll be happy to exchange it if you want to go that route.

Regards, Adrian

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
At this point I would prefer to return it for a refund.  I do not wish to bypass the coaches control system since this is a high end coach with built in switches.  I did request confirmation this motor would work before purchase.
Thanks,
Aaron

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Hi Aaron, ok, no problem, we'll be in touch with a return authorization.

Regards, Adrian

freightguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
Thank you.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
Hi, I forgot to mention the procedure; please send the return request via our contact form:

http://RollerTrol.com/contact-us

By the way, did you contact the support group at Automotion? It might be worth doing that to figure out what the problem is, since the motor works fine when connected to 12v.

Regards, Adrian