Author Topic: Weight of tube  (Read 10528 times)

LdZepRox

• View Profile
Weight of tube
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »
I'm looking at a 7'  x 1-1/2" metal conduit (Emt) pipe.  On the site it says the weight of the tube is not the issue but the weight of the fabric is.   The tube seems very heavy ( it comes in 10' sections at my hardware store).  Brackets can handle that weight right?  I was thinking about using Schedule 80 PVC which is lighter but not sure if it will stay round. Ideas or opinions?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RollerTrol Automation Systems
Re: Weight of tube
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
Hi, EMT is no problem, actually a good choice for use with our blind and shade motors as it is very strong. You could do chin-ups on a piece like that and it would not flex perceptibly. Our brackets will hold the weight of EMT (but not with chin-ups).

Regards, Adrian

LdZepRox

• View Profile
Re: Weight of tube
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »
I ended up using 8' x 1 1/4" EMT.  Brackets hold it no problem and motor doesn't seem to have an issue either.  I'm sure the PVC would have worked also.  TIP:  order your motor first, and then bring the end piece with you to the hardware store and you can fit it to be sure you're buying the correct inside diameter.  I also, countersunk a screw through the pipe to the motor to make sure it wouldn't spin.