Author Topic: How to connect DC motors as a group?  (Read 12390 times)

erebuni

• View Profile
How to connect DC motors as a group?
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
I have 3 windows that I want to be in the group connected to the same universal motor interface.  Is this correct to assume that I can connect all the motors in series to the the 12vdc power on the motor interface?
Also, do you make any motor interface that can support more than one group?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RollerTrol Automation Systems
Re: How to connect DC motors as a group?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Hi, if you use our Universal Interface to operate our non-radio motors, it is rated at 10 amps, so it will operate approximately 5 of our standard motors connected in parallel, depending on physical load conditions. If your shades are lighter, you could probably run about 7 or 8 shades.

We do not make a multi-channel unit yet. If you have a lot of shades to operate, you might want to consider using our multi-channel radio motors. The hand held remotes can operate 14 separate channels (plus an ALL channel), and you can group as many as you like onto a single channel. You can also have multiple remotes in the same room that are controlling the same configuration. We also have 1 and 2 channel wall mounts remotes (wireless) that can be added to that same system (and timers, and sun sensors).

You can further extend your system with our USB transceiver, which can theoretically control approximately 60,000 separate motor channels, although we have not tested that many yet. It interfaces with Vera, Homeseer and Event Ghost so that our motors become just another device in the control screens of those systems.

You can also continue to use your room remotes; the USB transceiver just extends the capabilities. The Vera units, for instance, allow you to control your devices from any phone, tablet or PC connected to the internet, from any location, through a secure encrypted connection.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com/

erebuni

• View Profile
Re: How to connect DC motors as a group?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:37:42 AM »
We do not make a multi-channel unit yet. If you have a lot of shades to operate, you might want to consider using our multi-channel radio motors. The hand held remotes can operate 14 separate channels (plus an ALL channel), and you can group as many as you like onto a single channel. You can also have multiple remotes in the same room that are controlling the same configuration. We also have 1 and 2 channel wall mounts remotes (wireless) that can be added to that same system (and timers, and sun sensors).

It's a new construction and all my 25+ windows are already pre-run with 16/2 stranded (speaker) wires. The ones that I knew will be in the group I looped the wires.  I was originally considering the radio motors but had couple of concerns:
If I understand correctly, there is always trickle charge with radio. If I connect all my 25+ windows that might add up...
Do the radio motors provide feedback? Say, would I know from Vera whether the blinds are open/close/half-closed?