Author Topic: Fabric for wide windows  (Read 17198 times)

LdZepRox

• View Profile
Fabric for wide windows
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
When looking for a fabric for a window shade, sometimes is difficult if the size is very long. In my case my window is 90 inches long by 80 inches wide. I went to Lowes and Minard's and Home Depot, and found window shade made by Bali that are 78 x 72. So if you're looking for a shade cover thats cheap these run about $50. If you need a larger size the only way I was able to find a cheap alternative was to go to a fabric store. I purchased room darkening material, just the material itself and I'm using that. my sister was able to sew it up the middle because the bolts of fabric are only about 54-60" wide.  So now I have the shade material that's 90 x80. It's opaque (0%) and total cost:  $22.   We'll see how it works.  Waiting for my first motor now!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:20:34 AM by LdZepRox »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RollerTrol Automation Systems
Re: Fabric for wide windows
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
Hi LedZepRox, sounds like you found some good solutions for a large shade, it will be interesting to hear about the motorization of the blinds.

Cheers, Adrian

LdZepRox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
Well the seam in my 8' wide shade doesn't let any light through but it does bind a little.  I found this site:  http://www.rosebrand.com/product217/Commando-Black-FR.aspx?tid=7  which makes curtains and props for theater companies.  They have Commando cloth.  I think this might be useable for an opaque blackout solution and you can order any size you need. I might check it out.

LdZepRox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
I ended up ordering from Chicago Canvas.  Commando Cloth is black and should hold out most of the light.  I've been told it's 90% depending on the weight 12, 16 or 21.  I ordered a one piece fabric of 8' x 9' and total cost including shipping was $65.   For about $30 they will add hems on all sides which I declined in my case.  This is a big shade and the motor had no problem with it and set up took all of 5 minutes. 

LdZepRox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
Here is a video of the finished shade.  8 foot wide on a sliding glass door.  What you don't see is the vertical blinds that go on the outside so when the shade is up, verticals are used.  The top is covered by a wood valance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE04aQoaE7c&sns=em

Here's the final product (attached).  You can see the roller blind with blackout fabric, behind the verticals.  roller Blind goes up into the valance which I made for about $50.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:10:50 PM by LdZepRox »

LdZepRox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Just bought 2nd motor for my next window and found the Commando Cloth on Ebay but it was cheaper going directly to Chicago Canvas.