What is the best home automation system? > Choosing a home automation system

Trouble pairing with smartthings?

<< < (2/5) > >>

rkrasny:
I've done more troubleshooting - the hub is finding the device and calling it a "Dimmer Switch".  With this device type it doesn't function.  I can change the device types to many choices, none of course are your shades but some of them clearly activate the relay in that the red light on the z wave relay goes on and then the blue light on the header controller but the shades don't operate.

Again, I'm sure they are wired correctly because the remote functions.  I'm quite a bit closer than I was though.  The current question is what device type I can use to make these functional (up/down) in smartthings.  Anybody successfully using them in ST would know this - I posed the question on the ST forum although there are very few posts about rollertrol so I think very few people are using them.  If these do work I'll post that too since lots of people balk at the price of somfy motors and these are more affordable.

Thanks - let me know if you discover anything useful.

rkrasny:
Is it true that it has to be wired correctly if the remote works?  Or does the remote communicate with the motor controller and the z wave relay is separate?  I'm asking because I can clearly have the z wave activate something on the motor controller but no movement occurs.

admin:
Hello, I haven't yet finished looking into the relationship of the trigger module with SmartThings, but I'm wondering if you somehow missed our instructions link that was sent:

http://RollerTrol.com/z-wave-blind-motor-control-part1g

The Z-Wave module triggers our group transmitter module, and you can test the transmitter module simply by connecting a wire between the appropriate terminals (as a substitute for what the trigger relay would do).

The normal procedure is to get the group transmitter working first (you can just clone a hand held remote channel), test that, then use a trigger relay module of choice (it does not have to be Z-Wave, it could be a Control4 relay module, for instance).

It could also be some other type of relay trigger module that works with SmartThings in some other way. Our group transmitter is powerful enough to reach anywhere in a typical home, and it does not need to be anywhere near the blind motors.

The Z-Wave part of the exercise should be really simple as Z-Wave is supposed to be interoperable, regardless of the hub you use, but apparently it's not as easy as it sounds. I'll report further in the morning on this aspect of the issue.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com

rkrasny:
I did see that article.  I am still a bit confused though.  I am shorting across the neutral terminal and the white/black stripe or the neutral and the other two terminals for open/stop/close on the radio transmitter module and nothing happens except the blue light in the z wave module blinks.  I can't get the motor to move by shorting across (closing) those circuits?

Am I performing the test of the radio transmitter module incorrectly?  Can you let me know what terminals or wires to short to get the motor operating and then I can probably figure out which terminals are being shorted by the smartthings software and connect them properly.

admin:
Good Morning, thanks for letting me know about the instructions link; some folks do miss that in the instructions message.

It is important to start by setting up a hand held or wall mount remote as the master unit as only the master can set the blind or shade travel limits. Just for reference purposes, here is the collection of remotes, in case you need to check on the part number of your particular remote:

http://RollerTrol.com/store/en/12-remote-control-for-motor

Did you first follow the cloning procedure to clone a channel from your master remote to the group transmitter?

Once you have done the cloning procedure, you should be able to test the blind motor(s) that were assigned to the master channel that you cloned onto the group transmitter.

With regards to testing the group transmitter, if you fasten one end of the test jumper to the N (ground) screw terminal, you then have 3 other terminal to test (OPEN, CLOSE, STOP). Just touching any one of those terminals should cause the appropriate action to occur.

If that does not work, then we need to examine the cloning procedure to see if that is happening properly. You might try the cloning procedure again, just in case it did not work for some reason.

In the meantime, I am gathering as much information as possible for the Z-Wave interfacing, but we need to get the group transmitter working first, before we get to the Z-Wave stage.

Regards, Adrian

Adrian Biffen
Customer Service
RollerTrol Automation Systems
http://RollerTrol.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version