What is the best home automation system? > Choosing a home automation system

Trouble pairing with smartthings?

<< < (5/5)

admin:
Hi Robert, this is all good fodder for the search engines, they will suck it up, so no problemo, you've already made your contribution! :)

We value word of mouth above all, and it's why we have been so successful with a zero advertising budget.

We like the Pi because it is powerful enough that it can still be used as a general purpose computing platform (mail, browsing, spreadsheet, etc) while Stefan's excellent home automation software is running in the background as a web server.

Cheers, Adrian

rkrasny:
I did write a quick "thumbs up" review in the ST forum and recommended Rollertrol for anyone who wants an excellent lower cost alternative to Somfy.  The install is more complex but well within reach of most ST users who have a more DIY mentality.

Can I make some suggestions for ways you can assist future installers (apart from your excellent forum support)?  A few pictures of the actual wiring would be helfpul - I'm quite handy and I confess I should've read the instructions word for word.  There were times when I was a little confused and uncertain I had done things properly.  Even the connections for the power supply which in fact goto each module and the motor was an area that would easily have been assisted with a picture.  Additionally, given the number of steps involved along the way, some confirmation that each step was completed properly is great (like when the motor beeps as it does for several of these steps).  Pictures of what the wiring should look like at a particular stage is great as would be quick tests to confirm things work (like a quick jumper test with a picture would've aided my installation as I wouldn't have misunderstood "cloning" - again, my fault not yours).

Last, I did have a challenge with the mounting hardware - I believe I had 2.5 or 3" aluminum tube and the mounting hardware was not quite long enough - there was insufficient height between the ceiling and the top of the hardware where the slotted pin slides into the mount.  I needed to install a few washers to drop that mounting hardware down about 1/4" for each of the mounting plates.  Basically, for the very large rollers the mounting plates need to be longer top to bottom.  Once the pin is engaged there is plenty of height above the roller but the screw hole placement is such that one can't attach the plate after engaging the pin.  Hopefully that makes sense - it seems like the mounts are designed for smaller diameter rolls.

admin:
Good Morning, your points are well taken and I will review the instructions. The shades themselves may need a standoff, depending on the thickness of the roll, and I will look into this too.

Regards, Adrian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version